Case study: Amsterdam Airport Schipol
Amsterdam Airport Schiphol has long been at the heart of Europe’s aviation industry. Having recently celebrated its centenary year, Schiphol retains its position as one of the continent’s most important air hubs. Today, the airport continues to invest in its vision to connect The Netherlands with the rest of the world and bring in significant business opportunities, facilitated by its unique one terminal concept.
From its origins as a local military airbase in 1916, Schiphol now serves 322 international destinations and over 100 airlines. Its pivotal position is also highlighted by the volume of passengers that passed through its doors in 2016 – 63 million. This equated to around 480,000 flights. Almost 40% of travellers are transfer passengers and Schiphol is also the base of home carrier KLM.
Schiphol remains focused on the future. Its partnership with Vanderlande, which stretches back five decades to 1967, has always been an important stepping stone in helping it to overcome its challenges. Growth at Schiphol has been higher than anticipated in recent times, and it has to balance this with its vision on sustainability and other factors. By partnering with Vanderlande, Schiphol aims to safeguard its position for many decades to come.
The rest of this content is restricted - login or subscribe free to access
Thank you for visiting our website. To access this content in full you'll need to login. It's completely free to subscribe, and in less than a minute you can continue reading. If you've already subscribed, great - just login.
Why subscribe? Join our growing community of thousands of industry professionals and gain access to:
- bi-monthly issues in print and/or digital format
- case studies, whitepapers, webinars and industry-leading content
- breaking news and features
- our extensive online archive of thousands of articles and years of past issues
- ...And it's all free!
Related content from this organisation
- What technology trends should airports look out for in 2019?
- Video: Vanderlande’s new baggage handling approach at Oslo Airport
- Video: Reliable partner for value-added logistic process automation
- The winners of the AOA Annual Awards have been announced
- Video: New baggage solutions supplied to Hong Kong International Airport