Birmingham Airport (BHX)
Birmingham Airport (BHX) is an international airport located in Solihill, some six miles south east of Birmingham city centre in England.
Initially opened as Elmdon Airport in 1939, flights were purely domestic and the airport was soon requisitioned by the RAF at the start of the Second World War. The airport returned to civilian use in 1948 and was subsequently renamed Birmingham International Airport. In 2010 it was decided that the ‘International’ would be dropped from the name. At the same time, British Airways also stopped operating flights through Birmingham and instead routed them through Manchester, London Gatwick and London Heathrow airports.