Case Study: Integrated checkpoint solution helps Keflavík Airport handle rapid growth
Positioned around 50km southwest of capital Reykjavík, Keflavík Airport is one of Iceland’s major transportation hubs.
Keflavík Airport has been in continuous use as an airfield since 1943. It was used by the US Air Force due to its strategic location during World War II and into the 1950s. Today Keflavík is the gateway into and out of Iceland and the premier destination for tourists visiting the country. But it is mainly a developing hub for passengers transferring between 3 continents – North America, Europe and Asia.
The main carriers at Keflavík are Icelandair and WOW air and both use the airport as its main hub. Another 27 airlines will fly to Iceland in the summer of 2018, among them both United Airlines and American Airlines. Keflavík Airport will have direct flights from well over 80 destinations as diverse as New York, Tel Aviv, Toronto, Los Angeles, Amsterdam and Moscow.
The airport is operated by Isavia Ltd. (state-owned) and manages air traffic in the Icelandic control area – the size of 5.4 million square kilometres – which makes it one of the largest in the world.
The rest of this content is restricted - login or subscribe free to access
Thank you for visiting our website. To access this content in full you'll need to login. It's completely free to subscribe, and in less than a minute you can continue reading. If you've already subscribed, great - just login.
Why subscribe? Join our growing community of thousands of industry professionals and gain access to:
- bi-monthly issues in print and/or digital format
- case studies, whitepapers, webinars and industry-leading content
- breaking news and features
- our extensive online archive of thousands of articles and years of past issues
- ...And it's all free!
Related content from this organisation
- Eindhoven Airport to trial new baggage check-in technology
- Eindhoven Airport launches passenger security checkpoint project
- What technology trends should airports look out for in 2019?
- Video: Vanderlande’s new baggage handling approach at Oslo Airport
- Video: Reliable partner for value-added logistic process automation