Dynamic cargo traffic growth at Katowice Airport
Katowice Airport experienced a surge in cargo traffic demand during November 2021, with 3,210 tonnes of freight handled, a 59.2 per cent increase from 2020 results.
Credit: Katowice Airport (KTW)
During the 11th month of 2021, 3,210 tonnes of freight, 1,193 tonnes more (+59.2 per cent) than 2020, were handled at Katowice Airport (KTW). In November 2021, 498 freighter take-offs and landings were noted, 203 more (+68.8 per cent) in comparison with the same time in 2020.
From January to the end of November 2021, 29 056 tonnes of cargo, 10,820 tonnes more (+59.3 per cent) than during the first 11 months of 2020, were served at Katowice Airport. In total, 4,147 freighter take-offs and landings were noted, i.e., 1,349 more (+48.2 per cent) in comparison with the same time period in 2020.
Artur Tomasik, President of the Management Board of the Upper Silesian Aviation Group (GTL SA), the company managing Katowice Airport said: “Katowice Airport is an important logistics point in southern Poland. In our cargo area, thousands of tonnes of freight, often very valuable, are handled every month. The end of 2021, due to the upcoming Holiday Season, is traditionally very intense when it comes to air cargo traffic. Our cargo terminal currently operates 24/7. This year (2021) will be successful for Katowice Airprot when it comes to cargo. We will improve 2020’s result by over 11,000 tonnes; for the first time in the airport’s history, we will exceed 30,000 tonnes of freight handled yearly. This would not be possible if it were not for modern infrastructure, which we aim to expand. It is why we plan to build a second cargo terminal.”
- Milan-Malpensa – Catania – Katowice Airport – Madrid – Milan-Malpensa (Amazon)
- Milan-Malpensa – Cagliari – Katowice Airport – Paris de Gaulle – Milan-Malpensa (Amazon)
- Katowice Airport – Hannover – Milan-Malpensa – Hannover – Katowice Airport (Amazon)
- Katowice Airport – Cologne-Bonn – East Midlands – Cologne-Bonn – Katowice Airport (Amazon)
- Frankfurt – Katowice Airport – Frankfurt (Lufthansa Cargo/RFS*)
- Vienna – Katowice Airport – Vienna (Lufthansa Cargo/RFS)
- Cologne-Bonn – Katowice Airport – Cologne-Bonn (UPS)
- Liege – Katowice Airport – Gdańsk – Riga – Liege (FedEx/TNT)
- Leipzig – Katowice Airport – Leipzig (DHL Express)
- Paris – Katowice Airport – Warsaw – Katowice Airport – Paris (FedEx/TNT).