Edinburgh Airport to employ new drop and go service for parking
New innovative technology will put valet parking at the heart of Edinburgh Airport’s parking approach to use its space more efficiently.
Edinburgh Airport is investing £12 million in the new service which will see a dedicated facility being built on the current surface car park and an additional 5,000 parking spaces being provided by 2021.
The new service, which will begin summer 2019, has been designed to be as straightforward as possible for customers:
1. Passengers drive their cars through the new dedicated entrance where HD cameras will take 360º images of the vehicle
2. Cars proceed to and park in one of the spacious ferry lanes, passengers then have a short walk to purpose-built reception area
3. At the kiosks, passengers scan their digital ticket from the app, email or type in booking reference. They then check their car in, tag their keys before dropping them through a secure chute
4. Passengers then walk to check-in and head off on holiday
5. On return, passengers scan their QR code and retrieve their key from a locker and receive information on where their car is parked.
Alec Hodgson, Head of Digital and Parking at Edinburgh Airport, said: “We’ve looked at our current parking options and identified an innovative facility which will revolutionise parking at Scotland’s busiest airport. By using the latest technology and adapting to the digital age we are in, we are offering a self-service product which is more convenient for our passengers.
“This is the first approach of its kind in Scotland and again we are proud to be leading the industry by embracing technology and planning for the future. We will deliver 5,000 new spaces by 2021 and enhance availability and affordability of parking at Edinburgh Airport by using our space more efficiently.
“We know passengers want a smooth and effective start to their holidays or business trips and we’re striving to offer that, starting with that vehicle drop off. The positive passenger experience is crucial to our business and something that will always be at the heart of our approach.”