Near 3,000 jobs lying unfilled at UK airports
- Love This
- Yahoo Mail
- Facebook Messenger
- Copy Link
Posted: 14 July 2022 | International Airport Review | No comments yet
As demand in the air travel industry begins to return to pre-COVID-19 pandemic levels, nearly 3,000 positions are lying unfilled across UK airports.
The pandemic caused vast numbers of cancellations to flights, as well as huge numbers of workers leaving the industry. As demand in the travel industry begins to return to pre-pandemic levels, nearly 3,000 positions are lying unfilled across UK airports, with open vacancies for jobs like Baggage Handlers and Aircraft Cleaners soaring, according to new research from smarter job search engine Adzuna.
- There are 2,884 jobs currently available in UK airports
- In total, airlines are currently offering 660 jobs across the UK
- Top hiring airlines include TUI, Jet2, and Easyjet
- Hot demand for Aircraft Cleaners (up +731 per cent year on year), Airport Security Officer (+200 per cent), and Flight Attendant (+192 per cent) but salaries for these roles remain low
- Wider travel boom, with companies such as Booking.com and Travelex ramping up hiring
- Recruitment firm Staffing Match is offering retention bonuses of £1,000 for airport operative roles amongst others.
TAKE A READ:
How to avoid airport chaos by Graham Olver, CEO of Luton Rising
Paul Lewis, Chief Customer Officer at job search engine Adzuna said: “The travel industry is back in the air, but many flights remain grounded due to a critical shortage of staff. There is a huge demand for roles such as aircraft cleaners, airport security officers, and flight attendants due to the large numbers that left the field during the pandemic. In an attempt to put an end to the recent disruption, Easyjet and TUI are seeing a noticeable push in recruitment. The question is, will this be enough? With passenger numbers beginning to return to pre-pandemic levels, travel hiring is predicted to keep soaring. The industry may need to learn lessons from other sectors that saw a staff exodus over the pandemic, like hospitality, and expand perks, bonuses, and flexibility to tempt workers back to the sector.”
Top 10 hiring airports
Top 10 hiring airlines
Growing demand for key airport jobs
Airside operations, Baggage handling, COVID-19, Security, Terminal operations, Workforce