Challenging our digital tower assumptions
Digital control towers: what was once a concept, confined to a niche of the industry, is now an operational reality for a growing number of airports around the world…
From London to Singapore via Budapest and Colorado, airports of all sizes and types are either going ‘digital’ or preparing trials to do so.
These are the pathfinders; the pioneer airports willing to step forward and lean into the light of a new world, and there is no doubt that great work is being done. But while we may still be at the fledging stages of this new era, our partnership with Searidge Technologies has given us the opportunity to question the perceived wisdom that has already taken root in some parts of the industry.
The idea that a digital tower means you should simply look to recreate exactly what a controller would see out of a traditional visual control room, seems to me to be forcing constraints on the technology that don’t need to exist.
This technology is revolutionary, so why only recreate what we already have?
The rest of this whitepaper is restricted - login or subscribe free to access
Thank you for visiting our website. To access this content in full you'll need to login. It's completely free to subscribe, and in less than a minute you can continue reading. If you've already subscribed, great - just login.
Why subscribe? Join our growing community of thousands of industry professionals and gain access to:
- bi-monthly issues in print and/or digital format
- case studies, whitepapers, webinars and industry-leading content
- breaking news and features
- our extensive online archive of thousands of articles and years of past issues
- ...And it's all free!
Related content from this organisation
- Enabling a cleaner, greener airspace through modernisation
- Digital towers, artificial intelligence, and the next generation of airport air traffic management
- UK’s first medical drone project secures £10.1 million in funding
- UK government funds world first advanced electric flight ecosystem
- ACI Europe’s Best Airport Award winners for 2022 revealed