Delta Ramp Agent Greg Baskerville Named Detroit Metro Airport’s 2010 “Safest Employee”
Posted: 20 October 2010 | Wayne County Airport Authority | No comments yet
Delta Airport Customer Service Ramp Agent Greg Baskerville was named Detroit Metropolitan Airport’s (DTW) “Safest Employee”…
Delta Airport Customer Service Ramp Agent Greg Baskerville was named Detroit Metropolitan Airport’s (DTW) “Safest Employee” during a special ceremony this week as part of the airport’s second-annual DTW Health & Safety Expo. Baskerville was selected among 25 nominees from across the airport community—representing employees of the Wayne County Airport Authority (WCAA), airlines, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) and other airport business partners—who were also recognized for their outstanding commitment to workplace health and safety.
“Safety is at the very top of the Airport Authority’s mission statement. Maintaining a safe, healthy environment for all airport users is vital for keeping one of the world’s busiest airports moving,” said WCAA Interim CEO Genelle Allen. “This week’s Expo provided us with opportunities both to learn and share strategies for maintaining a healthy and safe airport environment and to recognize individuals whose commitment to a healthy and safe workplace has been truly exemplary.”
Nominees for this award were identified by their supervisors for having demonstrated an outstanding commitment to promoting a safe and healthy airport workplace–and by extension–a safe, healthy and efficient environment for airport customers. Each nominee was recognized during the Expo award ceremony with a certificate presented by Allen, WCAA Director of Airfield Operations Dianne Walker, and representatives from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and Michigan Occupational Health and Safety Administration (MIOSHA). Among the nominations received by a selection committee of managers from across the airport community, Baskerville was selected to receive the airport’s first “Safest Employee” award.
Baskerville, a 17-year veteran of the Delta/Northwest team at DTW, is widely recognized by both peers and colleagues for his steadfast promotion of workplace safety.
In addition to the recognition ceremony, nearly 700 airport workers participated in various events conducted throughout the day-long Expo, including seminars on relevant health and safety topics such as airfield and ramp safety, ergonomics, electrical safety, hearing conservation and appropriate work gear during seminars The Expo also featured displays from 42 local vendors and agencies with resources to share regarding a safe, healthy workplace. A “tug/cart rodeo” challenged employees’ safe maneuvering of ground service equipment, and representatives from Delta set-up shop with the airline’s signature “Pink Boutique” selling pink food and novelty items to benefit the Breast Cancer Research Foundation.
The Expo was conceived, planned and hosted by a collaborative effort among the airport’s Airline Management Council and WCAA, with assistance from the Westin Detroit Metropolitan Airport, MIOSHA, and the airport’s federal agency partners.
2010 DTW SAFETY AWARD NOMINEES ALSO RECOGNIZED (By Company)
- William Hardin, Aircraft Service International Group (ASIG)
- Scott Gyulveszi, American Airlines
- Charles Jordan, DANTeC
- Leonard Schoenborn, Delta Air Lines
- Fred Wagner, Delta Air Lines
- Joseph Lickorai, DTE Energy Services
- Russ Hasselbach, Federal Aviation Administration
- Rich Rodriguez, Federal Aviation Administration
- Kristopher King, Frontier Airlines
- Cara Clifford, ISS
- Bruce Rubin, Motor City Central Parking
- Rondey Young, Prospect Airport Services
- Kim Davis, Servisair
- William Lawson, Transportation Security Administration
- Jannetta Sewell, Transportation Security Administration
- Mark Smith, Transportation Security Administration
- William Trump, Transportation Security Administration
- Christine Acker, Wayne County Airport Authority
- Gary Dust, Wayne County Airport Authority
- Tommie Lewis, Wayne County Airport Authority
- A.J. (Jalil) Missaou, Wayne County Airport Authority
- Jeffery Tylutki, Wayne County Airport Authority
- Joseph Weber, Wayne County Airport Authority
- Ken Nance, Westin Detroit Metropolitan Airport