Birmingham Airport achieves another record-breaking month in May
- Love This
- Yahoo Mail
- Facebook Messenger
- Copy Link
Posted: 16 June 2014 | Birmingham Airport | No comments yet
Birmingham Airport has recorded the busiest May in its history, as almost 900,000 passengers passed through the terminal last month…
Birmingham Airport has recorded the busiest May in its history, as almost 900,000 passengers passed through the terminal last month, a 5.3% increase compared to the same period last year.
Latest figures reveal the Airport handled 893,229 passengers in May, beating its previous record for the month set in 2008 by 1.8%
May’s passenger numbers mean the Airport has now achieved two record-breaking months in a row. Last month the Airport revealed it had recorded the busiest April in its history, after seeing more than 750,000 passengers pass through the terminal.
May’s figures also saw a major rise in the number of passengers flying on long-haul services from Birmingham, up by 14.5% compared to May last year.
Scheduled routes that saw the biggest increase last month were Toulouse (+187.1%), Bergerac (+176%), Bordeaux (+144.7%), La Rochelle (+122.6%) and Jersey (+110.9%). Charter services to Austria (+39.7%), Mexico (+33.3%), Portugal (+18.2%) and Jamaica (+12.5%) also experienced significant growth.
Paul Kehoe, Birmingham Airport’s CEO, said: “To achieve two record-breaking months back-to-back is no mean feat. Beating our previous record for April was fantastic, but to follow it up with a record-breaking May is a magnificent achievement.
“The performance over the past two months is particularly encouraging as we enter the busiest period of the year. Last week we saw Aegean Airlines launch a twice weekly service to Athens and we hope the expanding network of routes available from
Birmingham will see this upward trend continue into the summer months.”
Scheduled traffic in May accounted for 80.4% of all traffic, with charter flights making up the remaining 19.6%