San Antonio Airport to begin renovations of Terminal A
Posted: 29 October 2012 | San Antonio International Airport | No comments yet
Efforts being made to lessen the impact on travelers; Airport prepares for new concessions and eateries…
This week, San Antonio International Airport (SAT) kicks off a 18-month renovation project on its 30-year old Terminal A facility. New finishes, infrastructure upgrades and completely modernized restrooms will provide a customer experience consistent with the airport’s Terminal B, which opened in November 2010. The project also allows for access and queuing improvements to the TSA security checkpoint in the popular terminal. Estimated to cost $35 million, work in the terminal will be phased and primarily occur at night to limit interruption of service and convenience.
As work is completed in the phases, sections of the concourse will open. Airport leadership is placing a major emphasis on limiting the inconvenience to passengers.
“We are working closely with our construction manager at risk, SpawGlass, to minimize passenger inconvenience,” said Frank R Miller, Aviation Director. “We are trying to make sure some aspects are less invasive including doing some projects at night, choosing to work in strategic phases, as well as matching terminal renovations with the renovations being done by the concessions program.”
Improvements in the Terminal A Renovation Project include:
- Complete renovation of 12 public restrooms
- Upgraded interior lighting and finishes
- New flooring
- 6 new escalators
- Refurbish 5 elevators
- Replace HVAC units & pneumatic controls
- Extend fire sprinkler system
- New furniture and fixtures
Funded as a City of San Antonio Enterprise Fund, the Aviation Department does not use City funds or local tax dollars to operate or pay for enhancements or changes. This project is funded through user fees, rents, airline rates and charges.
In addition to the Terminal A renovations, throughout the various construction phases, SAT will be introducing new eateries. Also, Host International, Inc. (Host), an industry leader in operating airport concession programs will serve as the prime concessionaire, managing and operating restaurant and retail stores at SAT. Included in Host’s contract are the ten food & beverage locations and seven retail stores.
The new restaurants are a diverse mix of well known national brands, local favorites concepts and new concepts that will be unique to San Antonio International Airport. The eateries will open in phases over the next 15 months, they include:
- La Gloria- Street foods of Mexico serving tortas, tacos and ceviche.
- The Fruteria- Healthy fruit, smoothies, vegetable juices, yogurt as well as tacos
- Steak ‘n Shake- Classic burgers serving gourmet burgers, fries, shakes and more.
- La Tapenade- Mediterranean Café serving healthy options of fire roasted vegetables, specialty meats and cheeses stuffed into gourmet sandwiches and flatbread pizzas.
- Famous Famiglia- Italian eatery serving pizzas, pastas, salads, calzones and stromboli.
- Mission City Icehouse-serving gourmet grab-and-go sandwiches and salads will also focus on serving local beers and spirits.
- Auntie Anne’s and Cinnabon- Gourmet soft pretzels and world famous cinnamon rolls. These national favorite serves warm butter dipped soft pretzels with a variety of dips and toppings. Delicious baked goods, gooey cinnamon rolls with warm frosting and gourmet beverages.
The first concessions scheduled to open in June, 2013, are La Gloria, La Tapenade, Mission City Icehouse and Auntie Anne’s. For more information about the airport and for renovation updates, visit www.sanantonio-airport.com.